Re: NANFA-L-- Flathead catfish

Mark (nanfa-in-jonahsaquarium.com)
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:16:29 -0400

At 11:26 AM -0700 4/4/06, Michael Sandel wrote:
>If this is the same fish, it came from the upper Ohio River; might
>have even been the Allegheny. I would say cooler temperatures would
>suit him well. Is the sunfish large enough to intimidate the
>flathead? I stashed two juvenile (3") P. olivarous while conducting
>a rotenone survey in a lock chamber. This would have been sometime
>in September 2004. The other flathead was too far gone when I caught
>him, and didn't recover. This fish recovered completely, and did
>well in a 29 gallon with a hang-on power filter, gravel, and a clay
>pot. He was eating pellets and gambusia when I gave him to Mark.
>This info is probably not of much help for him now though. Have you
>tried a small chunk of fresh shad?

Hmm, if you didn't get him until Sept 2004, then that might not be
the same fish. I think I gave the fish to Moon-in-the 2004 SC
convention which, I'm sure, was prior to Sept. Are you sure of the
date you got it, Mike S?

--
Mark
Conejo Creek drainage

<))><

Need fish? http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/ /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and archive at / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml