Re: NANFA-L-- Sterilizing with bleach/boiling

Bob Bock (bockhouse-in-earthlink.net)
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:18:58 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Hi Jase. I decapsulate brine shrimp eggs regularly. There's a trick to it--you stop the process with tap water and dechlorinator just as the eggs begin to turn faint orange. It only takes a few minutes. If you left them in the bleach for any lenght of time, the cysts would probably dissolve too, just like the shells do.

And I don't know about any one else, but when I decapsulate, I don't get as good a hatch rate as I do when I just hatch the eggs in saline.