Re: NANFA-L-- brook lamprey digging holes

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos-in-comcast.net)
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 06:49:13 -0400

It's spring. Breeding season. He's trying to build a nest. Or she -- I think
females join in the nest-building, too. But since you didn't mention the
lamprey being gravid, I'm guessing male.

Mountain brooks are nonparasitic lampreys, which means they live 6-7 years
as larval forms, called ammocoetes, buried in the sand feeding on detritus
and microorganisms. Then, in their 6th or 7th spring, they mature into
adults. They don't eat like their parasitic cousins. In fact, their
digestive systems degenerate. They just have one thing on their mind. Sex.
Death follows soon thereafter.

So your guy is going to bag his head against the wall of the tank. "Hey,
where are all the chicks?" Then he's going to die.

Bummer.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore