RE: NANFA-L-- euthanasia

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:00:25 -0400

Probably because I was mixing them in the water, so I would have to use that
much for the desired effect. Thanks for the tip!

Todd

________________________________

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on behalf of Peter Unmack
Sent: Mon 4/24/2006 2:50 PM
To: nanfa-l
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- euthanasia

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Todd D. Crail wrote:

> I do about 15 drops per half a "gatorade bottle", and a splash of alcohol.
> Vodka works, never tried isopropyl. So maybe 30-45 drops and a half shot?
> If he only relaxes, put in more clove oil. It's pretty straight forward
and
> pretty darn gentle.

You use a lot of clove oil. I usually use 2 drops in about a whole
gatorade bottle and that works very well. But, I dissolve it in a splash
of ethanol first, then add the water (actually, now I carry a little
dropper bottle with clove oil and ethanol already mixed). The stuff is a
bit hard to get into water. I always find that my solution is noticably
stronger the next day.

I'd guess that isopropanol would work, use about a shot glass worth, add
maybe 5-8 drops of clove oil, mix it up well (maybe pour it into a larger
glass). Then add it to you water with the sunfish in it. If it hasn't
rolled over in about five minutes then add the same quantity. Note that
the fish can appear completely dead, but if dropped back into freshwater
they can come back to life, thus leave them in the clove oil for-in-least
10-15 minutes after they appear dead.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Provo River, Utah