Re: NANFA-L-- creating levels with rock work

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:34:35 -0700 (PDT)

Your idea works with just a couple heads up. One is
drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic box so the
air can get out as I dumped the air and set up a tank
with them full of water(had to remove alot as the
rocks were added). It was looking nice for a few days
then I noticed one of the plastic boxes floating in
the tank. My theory is disolved air formed an air
bubble with enough displacement to move the box. The
next advise is use several smaller boxes instead of
larger ones. The weight of the rock in the middle of
the larger ones can cause them to spread out and sort
of colapse. Giving you a dip in the middle of your
shelf. I tried to use one of the tall(about 8 inches)
sweater size box in an outdoor pool to give me a shelf
for some shallow water plants near a patio. I set a
thin one(about 4 inches) on top of it with about 3
inches of sand gravel mix. It lasted a few weeks then
fell dumping my plants. You may also find gluing some
rocks to it with silicone to give you a lip around the
top to hold some fine gravel or such for an upper
nesting spot. One of the things keeping rock dwelling
cichlids taught me I hope it helps you.

Later, John

--- Mike Austin <emasquinongy-in-yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
> I am trying to put together another fish tank and
> was trying to think of ways to create different
> levels in the aquarium using rocks...without placing
> too much weight on the bottom. One thought I had
> was to place on one end of the tank (or where ever)
> plastic sweater boxes. On top of these I would
> place the large foundation rocks (which would keep
> the plastic from floating) and, on top of these
> rocks I could place smaller rocks to create the
> desired look. The sides of the sweater boxes could
> be hidden with smaller flat stones and of course,
> gravel would be added last and poured over most of
> the arrangement. The goal would be to create a
> change in elevation without all the weight...also,
> sorta provide a cross sectional image of a stream.
> Any thoughts on this or better ideas...or problems
> with what I have proposed...(is there a problem with
> the void that would be contained within the sweater
> boxes)...I hope I explained this well enough.
> thanks
> Mike
>

> ---------------------------------
> Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make
> PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at
> 1&cent;/min.

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com