Re: NANFA-L-- Preserves...

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Preserves...
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 22:06:44 CDT

All the fish that died on me from the grand trip are in a 70-80% iso propyl solution.
Ive seen it several places that it keeps the color better and in my experiences with small collections and my personal collection it does by far. I got a museum studies student working on the question now too. But in all my experience isopropyl keeps color alot better than anything else, but I dont know about lamprey. I am not a fan of formalin. Great for keeping things 50, 100, so on years that you dont want to look-in-secondary things like color and what not and are going to be locked away in a vault. Ive also heard good stories about a alcohol mix.

Todd Crail <farmertodd-in-buckeye-express.com> wrote:
Hi Gang,

Well I have a short picturementary here to share from my week teaching a
camp on native fish-in-the Toledo Zoo. I'll write up something much more
detailed next week, but I do have a question for now.

I have a fiesty lil' animal I need to preserve...

So that the next time I do some of this:
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/zoo/01.jpg

When I have some of these:
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/zoo/02.jpg

And we DON'T miraculously catch (and immediately release :) one of these:
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/zoo/03.jpg

That still, amazingly, had one of these:
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/zoo/04.jpg (kickin' yerself now Mr Z? :)

That I can STILL attract one of these:
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/zoo/05.jpg

The idea here is... I don't want a personal formalin bath (from this thing
flying around when I put him down) and I would like to maintain as much of
the skin color for as long as possible (ie ethanol frosting ain't cool).
Suggestions? Maybe I can put him down with Isopropyl alcohol and then move
him into the more permanent formalin crypt.

Is that going to burn his silky skin (the isopropyl)? I know it doesn't do
damage to scaled fishes... But I don't want to flub this one up.

I can not believe how much these things slime and poop. I've changed the
water twice now since midnight last night and the water still has a blackish
tint to it. Hoping to put him down nice n gentle tomorrow as early as
possible, so as to not border on inhumane :)

Todd
The Mighty Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com