NANFA-L-- Re: A little mud never hurt anybody...

Subject: NANFA-L-- Re: A little mud never hurt anybody...
From: Laura Burbage (leuhrich-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 19:42:52 CDT

Oh, sure... blame me...

Looks great, Todd! I must say I am jealous. The only
thing I might do is add more plants. In highly lit
tanks, the more plants the better, or the algae will
try to make up for it! :) You can use something fast
growing like hornwort or watersprite to fill in gaps
until your tank gets settled and the plants you really
intend take off. In my longear sunfish tank I have
lots of frogbit on the top. I scoop and remove on a
regular basis, to get enough lignt to the bottom, and
excess nutrients are thus removed from the water
column. Floating plants can be confined to a section
of the top using styrofoam or another similar floating
thingie, cut as a floating barrier. I like using the
floaters for nutrient removal because I _want_ the
nutrients in the _soil_, but _not_ in the the water
itself.

As a side note, I seem to be successfully keeping 3
longear sunfish in a 55 gallon tank. Granted, they
are only about 4 to 6" long. There was also another
fish that I caught-in-the convention when it was very
small, and it turned out that it might be a dollar
(?). Anyway... they are all living quite peacefully
together. I put cobbles over the substrate, and it
seems to be keeping them from getting broody. Makes
for a great looking tank. I keep hoping to borrow a
digital camera.

-Laura
(mud! mud! mud! mud! mud! mud!)