RE: NANFA-L-- hardness and pH

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:23:12 -0400

Alkalinity, strictly speaking, is a measure of dissolved carbonates and
phosphates (mostly) which don't count toward the various measures of
hardness. But, they would contribute to the conductivity of water, usually
measured as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) by a standard conversion of the
conductivity measured as micro-siemens. In short, hardness and alkalinity
often co-vary but are different things.

--Bruce Stallsmith
"ask me about alkalinity titrations" near the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A