Re: NANFA-L-- California Natives - They're All Threatened or

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:23:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Jerry Baker wrote:
> Peter Unmack wrote:
> > You could always try another "Pantosteus" species (some consider them a

> I can't seem to locate any that are of the same size class (170mm adult)
> that are not endangered. Something about being a small sucker makes you
> more prone to becoming endangered, apparently.

Your local species is the only one that is federally listed within
Pantosteus. The other Pantosteus species include clarkii, discobolis,
plebius and platyrhynchus, with the latter also occurring in California.
You'd have to check each state to see which ones are listed where via
http://nanfa.org/agencylinks.shtml

> Are there any persons on this list that know of a non-endangered or
> non-threatened Pantosteus species that doesn't grow much larger than 6"?

Most of them don't grow massively fast, so even though some of them will
grow to almost 2ft, those are probably >10-20 years old. In Arizona it is
illegal to transport any fishes except a couple specific bait species in
certain counties. I don't know about the other western states. You would
most likely have to try and catch them yourself with a seine. Most
western states though have strict rules on bait collection and
transportation though.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Red River, Oklahoma