Re: NANFA-L-- perils of Fla collecting

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:27:29 -0700 (PDT)

That is not totally true. But south TX wild found
hive are about 70% AHB and 30% EHB as of this last
year. No one can legally keep AHBs in hives as of yet
and the hives are tested by the inspectors for AHB on
spot checks(normally when a hive they are inspecting
shows agressive behavoir). I am on several bee keeping
list due to it being my other hobby. But South TX is
having less problems with Varroa mites due to the AHBs
natural resistance. With fewer wild hives to transmit
these back to the EHB in managed hives you can
actually treat the hives and not get reinfected as bad
or as soon. The viruses that are plaguing the bees can
be caught by both AHB and EHB but it is the mites that
weaken the bees and actually transmit the virus from
bee to bee. AHBs can and do get trachial mites and
these mites also spread these viruses. But since AHBs
are smaller and there for have smaller trachea so they
are more resistance to them. If it was not for the
AHBs extreme agressiveness this man made hybred would
be much better for our use than the EHB types. AHBs
were originally an experment done in Brazil. Since the
2 types of bees will not naturally mate in high
numbers and to get a pure hive of hybreds they used
artificial breeding. The queen was EHB and they were
crossed to a South African scutella. The result was a
very productive hive and very agressive hive that
swarms more than EHB. The hive swarmed and AHB got
loose. From just a couple of swarms getting loose we
have the problem we do today.

Later, John

/------------------------------------------------------------------
> > -----
> > / This is the discussion list of the North
> American Native Fishes
> > / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list
> do not necessarily
> > / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information
> > about NANFA,
> > / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l
> are
> > / consistent with the guidelines as per
> > / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe,
> > or get
> > / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> > / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish at AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com