Re: NANFA-L-- Removing Chloramine - Sodium Thiosulfate?

Peter Unmack (peter.lists-in-)
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:41:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Jase Roberts wrote:

> Seems the way to treat the water is Sodium Thiosulfate?

Right.

> If Sodium Thiosulfate is the way to go, where's the best/cheapest place
> to get it?

If you are in academia, order some from a chemical supplier. I think half
a kilogram is only around $15-20 at the most. Seems as if you can find a
bulk chemical place you could get a 50 lb bag for probably the same price
as the high grade chemical stuff.

> All the info I see indicates that Sodium Thiosulfate is pretty benign as
> far as human health effects. Anything I'm missing?

A fellow from Germany keeps saying something about it being considered a
pollutant there. Have never followed up on it though.

> And... folks here all seem to agree that the quantity of ammonia
> released can be handled by bio filtration?

You should always have some type of biofiltration running anyway, unless
you are setting up a planted jungle. I've used it for years and never had
a problem, but I've always had filters too. I wouldn't be too worried
about it though.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Provo River, Utah