Re: RE: NANFA-L-- What Happens When Fish Suck?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:36:36 -0500

Well.......... .

Most endeavors that take place would not be undertaken if the
individual doing the work had to pay with his or her own money. Most
people just don't have the wherewithal, and so they have to do things
to feed, clothe, shelter themselves. Fact is, except in certain fields
and for a limited portion of people in those fields, scientists pay
substantially in terms of money by foregoing the level of income that a
good many less talented individuals command because they (the
scientists) are committed to exploring the unknown.

So far as where the money comes from, regardless of what guise we place
on it, it comes from society. Entrepreneurs persuade others who have
more wherewithal to assist them. Companies sell stock. Scientists
seek money from private agencies and the government.

If society, or a portion of society, agrees that the work is
worthwhile, then wherewithal is forthcoming. So, someone besides the
person who obtained the grant under which the fish suck project was
done, wanted to know how fish suck. I happen to think it is pretty
neat stuff.

When we stop exploring for the sake of exploration, then society will
wither. Hey, might be a good thing, ala Ed Abbey, rest his soul
(which, though he at times denied its existence, was more valuable than
that of lots of people I know!).

David L. McNeely, Ph.D.

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"