Re: NANFA-L-- Photo Library - PHP Gallery

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:50:00 -0400

Or even a small library of restricted use. I know I'm not spending my time
chasing down photographers so they can get paid while I'm volunteering??? ;)
I think an email address on the page presenting their low-res graphic is
plenty. The photographer is relinquising a certain amount of control by
putting it on the web.

I would also strongly caution the Board to consider the upkeep of such a
system before allowing someone to volunteer to implement it. We've been
through this a half dozen times in the last 3 years, with my time waning to
devote toward online applications and then even to place content just in the
brand of the site. I need to disable the link to the Breeder Awards
Program... You know why it hasn't happened? Because no one uses the
application and I keep forgetting to do it. I spent about 10 hours putting
it together (stuff I billed $125 an hour for in the real world), and it's
been a dead link for 2 years because I got tired of personally paying $100 a
year for a database no one was using... It's been pointed out to me _once_
that the link is dead (I just remembered I need to do that ;).

With that, I will say that I have a rapidly growing library of images that
will be going online this winter on the NANFA website under the very scheme
I'm discussing. And I'm not going to spend any time implementing some
management system that'll have to be <ahem> managed. I strongly feel if you
want to participate, some pixel smashing in an image program and some text
on a .htm are enough.

I will also add that I never began getting paid for commercial use of my
images until I put them online and broadcast them... To the tune that it
paid for my gas and lodging for last year's Spring Fling II! I relegate
some control, I've seen them pop up places they didn't belong, but so what?
Yeah it chaps me to see just like it would anyone else, but it's not like
I'm giving away my first born or something. It's a photo. If they want to
scavange over crummy low-res images, fine, whatever. If it really chapped
me, I'd have ground to stand on because I put a copyright and disclaimer.

Like I said... If you wanted to contribute, awesome! If you don't, no hard
feelings.

Simply enough... I'm not doing any more work than typing this final message
with my final thoughts on the topic :)

Todd