Re: NANFA-L-- cold euthanasia

Bonnie McNeely (bnmcneely-in-sbcglobal.net)
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:06:41 -0700 (PDT)

Tony, you are dropping fish from whatever their ambient is into stressful conditions, sudden cold. That's a shock. Cold euthanasia is accomplished by putting a fish, in water at ambient temperature into a freezer. The water temperature drops, and the fish's metabolic rate drops with it, until it freezes. That's quite a different phenomenon from what you describe.

Dave

anutej-in-loxinfo.co.th wrote:
Sorry for being negative but I am not so sure about the thought that
freezing is humane and painless, since often when I put fish
[headwater cyprinids] in freezing water and ice to knock them prior to
setting their fins and preservation they thrash around violently for a
few seconds. This may not be pain but I doubt they are not in extreme
stress and discomfort for that few second.....

Tony