Re: { SPAM 1 }::NANFA-L-- Crappie Identification (was Crappie Feeding)

Subject: Re: { SPAM 1 }::NANFA-L-- Crappie Identification (was Crappie Feeding)
From: John Knight (knighjr-in-auburn.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 16:07:47 CST

I haven't really been paying attention to where this particular posting
is going, so If I am repeating something already said, then please
disregard. If I.d.ing the two species is the question now, the most
definitive way to distinguish the two are dorsal fin spines. Black-7-8
dorsal spines, and white-6 spines. Using color to distinguish any fish
is typically poor practice. I've seen many white crappie that look just
like black crappie. I believe page and burr have (field guide to fish)
have numerous other traits in that book as well. But as far as I know
this works the best and is very reliable

JK

>>> SHasloue-in-kdhe.state.ks.us 12/15/04 1:17 PM >>>

Can you count the number of spines in the anal fin? Most of the sunfish
(Lepomis species, anyway) will have 3 spines (hardened, fused rays) in
the
front of the fin.

Crappie (Pomoxis species) will have 5 or 6.

Steve
______________________________________
Steve Haslouer
Topeka, KS 66612-1367

email: shasloue-in-kdhe.state.ks.us

Actually, white crappie may have, as you put it, "zebra stripes." So
may
several other species of sunfish.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"