Re: NANFA-L-- OT: Sales of Males

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:14:11 -0800 (PST)

I know for a fact that with the guppies it is lack of
people wanting to buy the females. With cichlids I
think the breeder just needs more females to males for
the most part as females are available but in smaller
number. With cichlids you have 2 options, a single
male of each species or set up breeding colonies of
one male and several females. Like my mbuna tank will
have 3 species with 4 females and 1 male of each
species. I know I have 3 extra males to get rid of as
I bought very young fish from a breeder. I also need
atleast 4 females to finish my tank. So you can see
why you have a hard time finding females when you need
3-7 females per male in a breeding tank as the males
fight when housed together with their own kind. You
can find all the platy and molly females you want as
the females have color unlike the female guppies. I
used to provide guppies to a couple LFS. They wanted 2
males to each female as that was the rate they sold
them.
Later, JOhn

--- "Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS"
<Jan.J.Hoover-in-erdc.usace.army.mil> wrote:

> I am going to risk an off-topic post here because it
> concerns the aquarium
> hobby in general.
>
> Last night, while-in-one of the major pet retailers,
> I noticed that only
> males were available for most of the fancy guppy
> strains and for the dwarf
> gouramies. When I asked an employee about females,
> I was shown a single tank
> of cobra-like female guppies. If a customer wanted
> to breed guppies they
> would have to mix strains (and by the genes of their
> F1s).
>
> Why are only males being sold ?
> A. Simple retailing strategy- most consumers only
> want a colorful fish and
> have no interest in breeding
> B. Advanced retailing strategy - unavailability of
> females means repeated
> sales of an "unbreedable" fish
> C. Sense of property - breeders do not want
> hobbyists tampering with their
> creations (and possibly underselling them)
>
> Try as I may - none of these seem to be realistic -
> but I have heard
> hobbyists say similar things about the
> unavailability of female cichlids of
> some species.
>
> Does anyone know ?
> Do small independent fish stores offer females of
> the same varieties/species
> not offered in the larger chain outlets?
> Don't most customers want to have male and female
> combinations when they buy
> fish for their tanks ?
>
> - Jan Hoover
> Vicksburg, MS

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com