Re: NANFA-L-- Was leaches now snail eaters

James Smith (jbosmith-in-gmail.com)
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:35:23 -0500

Apple snails don't really infest anything. They reproduce by laying
these large clumps of eggs above the waterline with several hundred
eggs in them. The outside hardens.. and I mean it gets so hard it's
impressive. After a couple of weeks it suddenly gets soft and the
babies eat their way out and fall into the water. If you don't want
baby apple snails you have plenty of time to remove the eggs.

That said, my molly tank has apple snails in it. A few weeks ago they
laid 6 clutches of eggs. I didn't want to flush them for whatever
reason and promised myself I would move them to another tank.. and
then I forgot. My gravel now seems to be alive there are so many! They
are brigs, not canas and I think the parents were two very nice
chestnut snails, so they should be nice :)

That cana info sounds scary.. I've never been a big fan of them anyway
though. Besides the whole invasive factor (which doesnt matter much
here in Vermont) the big ones just sit around inside their shell all
day. And they eat my plants!

Jim