Re: NANFA-L-- more on Belle Isle Aquarium

njz (njz-in-clevelandmetroparks.com)
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:29:48 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C5012E.15340020

This is the response from the curator about the historical register =
idea:

Thanks for the suggestion but this was proposed a very long time ago - =
to=20
register BIA as a Historic Building. Registration was not considered =
for=20
the building for several reasons. The first, once a building is=20
registered it becomes difficult to do any restorations unless they are=20
closely regulated to maintain the original historic nature of the=20
building. At the time we considered registration the Aquarium was =
slated=20
for the first wave of American Disabilities Act modifications. These=20
were accomplished relatively easily since the building was not=20
registered. (I don't know if it truly would have been a more difficult=20
procedure had we been registered, but I was told it would have been.)
Currently we just went through a second wave of ADA compliance issues =
and=20
we really should do much more to be completely compliant (but I will=20
admit the demands for being completely compliant are really outrageous!)
Secondly, if the adminstration wants to close a building it certainly is =

harder to do that if its registered, so naturally this was not done. =20

Doug Sweet
Curator of Fishes
Belle Isle Aquarium
Detroit Zoological Institute

Nick Zarlinga

"If we ignore nature.....maybe it'll go away."

----- Original Message -----=20