Re: NANFA-L-- NANFA-L Stonefly survey

Moontanman-in-aol.com
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:59:34 EST

--part1_b7.50645171.2f2ddfd6_boundary

In a message dated 1/29/05 11:25:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
michiganfish-in-wideopenwest.com writes:

> Bruce
>
> Michigan was Lake Trout, Grayling (gone by about 1900) and Brook Trout. I
> believe before 1900 brown trout were introduced. Rainbows may have been
> added that long ago along with steelheads (lake running rainbows). The
> welland canal let in the sea lamprey which finished off the over fished lake
> trout. It also let in the alewife which with no lake trout to eat them had
> massive die offs in the 1960's littering great lakes beaches. Then Coho an
> Chinook salmon were stocked to eat the alewifes. We also have carp like
> everyone else. A few other fish that have been added, smelt, pink salmon,
> Atlantic salmon. Some that didn't take Cutthroat trout, European whitefish,
> American eels and gambusia. We even have weatherfish in one river. Then
> from ship ballast round and tubenose gobies, ruffe and European flounder.
> We have one of the most scrambled ecosystems in the world. No fisherman in
> this state would believe that those trout and salmon don't belong here.
> Last year-in-our native fish display-in-Outdoorsman (a large hunting and
> fishing show) I had several people ask if walleye ate round gobies, I said
> probably they return with why would we want to get rid of them then.
> Remember steel head can be two foot long fish or bigger these guys are not
> interested in 8 inch brookies. Personally brook trout with a fly rod is
> what interest me. I practic catch lease on brook trout and eat all the
> browns and rainbow I catch. The Steelheaders and the Trout Unlimited people
> are a political force maintaining clean rivers here. The DNR will not ignore
> these groups. People like us interested in what everyone else calls bait are
> politically non existent NANFA maybe has 10 people in Michigan. Years ago I
> went to a native orchid talk, the speaker said there will never be enough
> people interested in these plant. If you want to save orchids join Trout
> Unlimited , every time they save a trout stream they save orchid habitat. I
> will be talking on native fishes to a Trout unlimited chapter next week.
>
> Bob
> Red Run (the Ghost River of Roal Oak) - because 70 years ago it was buried
> in a concret tube and my tolet flushes into it.
> A tributary of the Clinton River, Michigan

Wouldn't American eels be native? And are the flounders a reproducing
population? I didn't realize there was a landlocked population of flounders anywhere
in the USA.

Michael Hissom (AKA Moon)
Lower Cape Fear River, Waccamaw Lake and river system, and coastal salt water
and brackish water estuaries in the same location. (South Eastern North
Carolina)
I have access to the only natural Ocean Shore Rock out cropping in Coastal NC

--part1_b7.50645171.2f2ddfd6_boundary

Michigan was Lake Trout, Grayling (gone by about 1900) and Brook Trout. = ; I
believe before 1900 brown trout were introduced.  Rainbows may have bee= n
added that long ago along with steelheads (lake running rainbows).  The=
welland canal let in the sea lamprey which finished off the over fished lake=
trout.  It also let in the alewife which with no lake trout to eat them= had
massive die offs in the 1960's littering great lakes beaches.  Then Coh= o an
Chinook salmon were stocked to eat the alewifes.  We also have carp lik= e
everyone else.  A few other fish that have been added, smelt, pink salm= on,
Atlantic salmon.  Some that didn't take Cutthroat trout, European white= fish,
American eels and gambusia.  We even have weatherfish in one river.&nbs= p; Then
[...]
politically non existent NANFA maybe has 10 people in Michigan.  Years=20= ago I
went to a native orchid talk, the speaker said there will never be enough people interested in these plant.  If you want to save orchids join Tro= ut
Unlimited , every time they save a trout stream they save orchid habitat. I<= BR> will be talking on native fishes to a Trout unlimited chapter next week.

--part1_b7.50645171.2f2ddfd6_boundary-- /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html To subscribe, / unsubscribe, or get help, visit the NANFA email list home page and / archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/