Re: NANFA-L-- labor services and stream cleaning

Jeff Grabarkiewicz (threehorn_wartyback-in-yahoo.com)
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 05:11:41 -0800 (PST)

"Cleaning out" natural streams or ditches is done by Soil and Waters offices in many of the counties in NW Ohio (a subdivision of the Ohio DNR). Spraying weeds, removing logjams, scraping banks and "dipping out" bottom sediments. Otherwise, farmers will do it themselves.

County and City engineering garages will do it in urban areas. As will Mosquito Control Districts....they especially do not like logjams.

Jeff

matt ashton <ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com> wrote:
Oh I've seen just as many up there too. Don't forget, the Lake Erie shoreline is a substrate of mostly bricks, broken cement, rebar and more rebar, if its not bulkhead or rip rap, and that tends to follow along right into the rivers and creeks. I think I see alot more of the looks like they were drag racing with bulldozers type of ditches down here. In my first two trips to Tupelo I don't think I've seen a natural stream yet in Mississippi. I saw a pretty disheartening destruction of a stream channel 15 minutes from here last month too. Even the 'naturalized' area of a pond shoreline restoration here was mostly rip rap and a poor-in-best attempt of using bundled wood and willow stakes that obviosly did not take. One of the more amusing things about the city of Cookeville is the Ensor Sink Natural Area, which is one of many sinks in the county and that the city lies upon. Almost every ditch that feeds into the sink now is either two stage and culverted or is one of the n!
icest
looking smoothest concrete channels I have ever seen. Like if you throw some of that blue epoxy paint on it the city would have a drainage ditch/water slide. My all time favorites are the pouring the aggregate and leftover concrete over the side to get the artifical bank that looks like a laval flow that hardened up and it just erodes away underneath instead.

Bruce Stallsmith wrote: Hey Matt, you're livin' in the South now. Don't laugh, you'll see lots of
concrete sided and straightened ditches!

--Bruce Stallsmith
along the horribly damned Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

http://mail.yahoo.com