Re: NANFA-L-- Native Aquatic Plants

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Native Aquatic Plants
From: geoff (gkimber2-in-alltel.net)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 21:37:48 CDT

re: cyanobacter

Ramshorn snails plow through the stuff in short order. They eat some
plants of course, but I usually don't have that much problem with it.
Then again, I no longer try to keep amazon swords.

As far as sagittaria goes - The stuff grows great for me just in fine
gravel. I am using fine red flint and it will fill a tank in just a few
months. I just provide a lot of light, I don't disturb the gravel, and
I'm really lazy about water changes. Add in the snails, a little java
moss, and the tanks do well.

BTW-

A friend of mine recently gave me a book on aquatic plants called
Aquatic Plants of the United States by Walter Conrad Muenscher. It was
published in 1972 and is all line drawings, but it has an awesome key.

Is there a newer or better book for native aquatic plants?

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:21:35 CDT