Re: NANFA-L-- Handbook of Darters by Page Available

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Handbook of Darters by Page Available
From: Mark (nanfa-in-jonahsaquarium.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 19:47:06 CDT

At 1:25 PM -0500 7/29/04, Dave McNeely wrote:
>I already have this book, which I bought new when it was published. I just
>did a search on Amazon.com for the book, and the lowest price available
>there (used, of course, the book is out of print) was $124.50. So the
>$65.00 quoted below appears to be a good price. However, I know that I have
>seen the book on occasion in used book stores for quite a bit less. My
>daughter bought one in Seattle several years ago for more like $20. She
>bought Kuehne and Barber's darter book-in-the same time, $10. Did she get a
>tremendous bargain on these?

Yes. Booksellers who know that these books are out of print and in
demand charge much more. Those who view them as obscure and
uninteresting let them go cheap. The $65.00 price is about market
for Handbook of Darters. You will have to wait a long time to find
one for much less, when someone wants to unload one and doesn't know
what it's worth. However, if you are into color photos, The American
Darters is superior. Fishes of Tennessee is better still, but more
limited in scope. Fishes of Tennessee along with FW Fishes of
Virginia will give you the bulk of the eastern darters in full color.
Throw in Fishes of Arkansas for the western species.

--
Mark
Ohio River drainage

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:21:37 CDT