Re: NANFA-L-- darter identification

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:25:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 Prizma-in-aol.com wrote:

> i hate to see fish like that. the horror. you have frozen in eternity their
> last minute of life.

Actually, I didn't kill it, I just grabbed the mortalities that other
people had in their coolers. :-) But most of the time I am guilty
though. Percina palmaris is the correct spelling, thanks for the
identification!

> inquiring minds would like to know why your interested in a fish
> collected way back in 98.

Don't you remember me killing all those fish while we were out collecting?
Well, I didn't do it all for nothing. The darter in question was one I
sequenced for the RAG genes (The recombination activating genes (RAGI and
RAGII) are both critical for the rearrangement of immunoglobulin gene
segments in T and B cells as part of our immune systems). This is part of
a broader study looking-in-the relationships among a number of percoidei
families. Several of those fishes we collected have been sequenced as
part of various studies. I still have all of them sitting in the cupboard
at ASU waiting for someone to need them.

Cheers
Peter Unmack