RE: NANFA-L-- my darters/cooling

Nick Zarlinga (njz-in-clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:30:47 -0400

No I don't. I said that with some sarcasm, just because there is a lot of
effort involved (without a dozer), but it is probably the most efficient way
of cooling your system down. Why not let the earth do the work? As you can
imagine, it would totally depend on how much water you had to try to cool,
and if you were doing it directly or indirectly. What I mean by that is if
you pump your aquarium water outside under ground, or if you have a closed
loop system which has a bunch of tubing circulating non aquarium water
between say a sump for your aquarium and the ground. Another way of doing
it to run tubing in a pond or stream that might be on your property. The
pond would have to be deep enough to have somewhat of a thermocline. Even
with a thermocline, however, you woudn't have as cool of temperatures as in
the ground, unless you lived near a deep lake or spring of course. Then
again, you may only have to have it drop your system a few degrees. With
both systems, you could even go so far as to set up a solar panel to run the
pump to circulate the water during the heat (and sun) fo the day. These are
exteme examples of course, but then again I have seen a lot of extreme fish
keepers out there ;)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo