Re: NANFA-L-- Photos from Brays Bayou, Houston from Sunday

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:57:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Dan Johnson wrote:

> Yes, that fish does look similar to a pirate perch. But it has two
> dorsal fins which should exclude that as a possibility. Plus it was
> hanging out in open water, which would be uncharacteristic for a pirate
> perch.

Good point! It doesn't look like a goby/gudgeon/sleeper either. I don't
really know what else to suggest.

> Did you ever look-in-the pics from my San Jacinto trip?

Briefly. Your identifications look good to me, I'm not massively familiar
with the genus Lythrurus, thus I couldn't advise on the species, but it
does look like the genus is correct. But given there is only one
Lythrurus in that region then I'd say you have it correct.

Cheers
Peter