RE: NANFA-L--Mollies - old and new topics

Bob Bock (bockhouse-in-earthlink.net)
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:24:30 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I think the size differential between the saline and freshwater populations has to do with food, too. Trexler found the greatest size increases-in-a salinity of only 2ppt when compared with higher salinities, when each group of mollies received the same amount of foods.

Anecdotally, both Trexler and I have observed that mollies in outdoor salt tubs will keep pace with well-fed mollies-in-2 ppt. I think it's the micro algae in seawater. It's my hunch that mollies grow well-in-high salinities because, for some reason (omega threes, maybe?) the micro algae is better for them. I also think that the microalgae allows them to overcome any energy deficit that the osmotic stress of high salinity may have for them.

I do think that predation also plays a role in wild populations.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS" <Jan.J.Hoover-in-erdc.usace.army.mil>
Sent: Mar 6, 2005 3:35 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: RE: NANFA-L--Mollies - old and new topics

Follow-up to an old thread:
Got a copy of the thesis by Steven Sheinbaum, University of South Florida,
who was studying life histories of sailfin mollies in the Tampa Bay Area in
the 1970s. It is a very nice field study of three populations - one in
freshwater (Hillsborough River), one in fluctuating salinities, one in
brackish water. In general, estuarine populations had greater percentages of
males, bigger heavier adults of both genders, bigger fish-in-maturity, and
bigger brood sizes. Differences between fresh- and brackish-water populations
were attributed to a combination of temperature effects (estuaries were
warmer) and predation (River was believed to have higher densities of
predatory fish and birds). Thesis does not include results of the experiment
in which Steven reared fish from one population-in-different salinities to
see if salt was responsible for these effects.

Also :
Mar 2005 issue of Natural History has a blurb about the Amazon molly, p. 18.
It summarizes a recent paper (Aspbury and Gabor, 2004. Proc Nat Acad Sci.
101: 5970-73) addressing the question "why should a male sailfin molly waste
sperm on a sexual parasite like a parthenogenic Amazon molly?" Results
indicate that "female sailfins are drawn to males that score with a female
molly of any species." Also - it appears that males save energy by producing
less sperm when around the Amazons.

/ http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html To subscribe,
/ archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/