Re: NANFA-L-- How Does Everyone Feel About.....

Harry Knaub (harryknaub-in-suscom.net)
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:49:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Criswell" <ammocrypta-in-hotmail.com>
To: <nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org>.

> And, I don't know what it is about trout, but I'd bet a year's salary
> (such that it is) that the agency isn't gonna change its focus anytime
> soon!

I think that one reason for the heavy emphasis on stocking trout, is that
many fisherman, around here-in-least, view trout fishing as meat fishing.
These are the same people that view deer hunting as meat hunting. They can't
wait for opening day, so they can stand shoulder to shoulder and haul as
many trout as possible from a stream that couldn't possibly produce a native
trout because of siltation and water temperatures. In fact I know people who
would follow the Fish Commision's stocking crews the same way that they
would spotlight deer in order to figure out where the deer would be the next
day. I suppose that these attitudes may be changing as time goes on, but as
long as those are the people paying the freight, this is how the commissions
will do things.

Harry Knaub
York, PA