Re: NANFA-L-- pipefishes in the Chesapeake Bay

Bob Bock (bockhouse-in-earthlink.net)
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:27:52 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Sorin, to answer your questions about future trips:

These would involve a fair amount of driving time, so I don't think it would be wise to combine them with a trip to the Annapolis area. And you haven't missed anything, I've just been thinking out loud. Area trips possibilities include:

Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis area, for Cyprinidon variegatus, Bay anchovies, pipefish, mummichog, silversides

Tidal Potomac River, near Mount Vernon, for Snakeheads (Channa argus argus)--for photographing only, as these are illegal to transport. Other species found in the area include silversides (inland, I think), white perch, pumpkinseed, bluegill, and redbreast sunfish; banded killifish, highfin carpsucker

Pennyfield Lock, C&O canal, North of Potomac (angling trip for longear sunfish)

Southern Maryland, for bluespotted sunfish, flier, redfin pickerel, and warmouth.

These are all tentative, as I haven't scheduled anything or made inquiries into any necessary permits. (The angling trip would only require that those who plan to collect have a MD State fishing lisence.)

Hope that helps.