RE: NANFA-L-- Salt Treatment & Southern Excursion Prelims

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:43:23 -0800 (PST)

I did go out Friday with a cast net(friend of the
family found out I wanted one). Hopefully I can learn
to use it much better before I go out again. I did get
a few good cast out of about 50. The guy that was with
me called nearly everything I caught steel back
minnows. The upper barren fork was up but not raging
when I went by the place. Now down by the Dam in town
the water was to rough to enter. I had rubber boots
but no waders so I stayed in very shallow water of
Pepper Branch creek. If nothing us to socialize with
other fish nuts is a secondary goal of these trips.

Later, John

--- matt ashton <ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com> wrote:

> We got two dusky's :-) There still in my cooler
> awaiting the mussel lab tomorrow. The conditions
> were not ideal that is for sure John and probably
> not for a first time collecting trip. We got really
> lucky in the upper reaches and tribs and one site we
> had to eliminate when we got there because it was
> RAGING...well almost, but that is another story. It
> was very swift-in-times with loose substrate and had
> no vis. I also had no extra pairs of waders like I
> thought I would have to provide you to use. They
> were all out being used-in-an educational event. So
> like I sent to ya and talked about earlier,
> hopefully with some more safe and sampleable
> conditions I can meet ya out somewhere and show you
> some good fish. The Collins should be back to the
> great conditions it was-in-prior to the rain in a
> few days.
>
> Still working on my own records Todd and will
> shoot those back to you. Tyler and I also have been
> taking quite a few in tank pictures that we will
> have to share.
>
> Matt
>
> Cookeville, TN
>
> "Crail, Todd" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Bruce and JC. Not only is
> it cheaper... It dissolves
> much easier :)
>
> Yeah that was a good one... That was the first snake
> I've ever seen NOT back
> away. My favorite "peak moment" was last year at
> Borden Creek where the dude
> just kinda appeared out of the brush and wanted to
> tell us about some other
> fishermen, and teach us to be fishers of men. I
> wanted to tell him we were
> already-in-church, but he probably wouldn't have
> understood.
>
> J.C., didn't know you were coming. We did
> Shelbyville on Friday-in-about 800
> cfm and it yielded 24 species. Some guy thought he'd
> give us a lesson on
> seining, and told us it only worked when you pulled
> it up stream. As if.
> Yeah... I'll just keep using this "not doing it
> right" method of downstream
> tosses, and save my back for other things.
>
> I'll put that Shelbyville list together here in a
> second...
>
> The preliminary eye candy:
>
> http://www.nanfa.org/members/crail/springfling2006
>
> Warning: Invite your spouse in to look with you so
> she doesn't think you're
> looking-in-something else :)
>
> Okay...
>
> Fisherman's Park, Shelbyville Dam, 3/10/06
> 8' seine, Riffles and Runs east of bridge
> Matt Ashton, Erika Buri, Todd Crail, Tyler, and
> Jessie
>
> Stoneroller (abund) super males!
> Streamline chub (15) large specimens, one huge
> gravid female
> Blotched chub (4)
> Bigeye chub (5+)
> Striped shiner (abund)
> Silver shiner (1)
> Rosyface shiner (1)
> Stargazing minnow (5+)
> [...]

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com