RE: NANFA-L-- mussels-in-nanfa.org?

Jeff Grabarkiewicz (threehorn_wartyback-in-yahoo.com)
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:03:11 -0800 (PST)

I would vote for a separate list. I don't (or very rarely) post mussel questions/surveying results because I would probably be doing so once a week or more...and I wasn't sure how list members would feel about that. And I didn't want to "clog" up all the good fish information that comes through. Maybe this isn't as big an issue as I thought though.

I've been waiting for a more informal mussel outlet. I'd love to hear what people in other states are uncovering as far as unionids. It seems that too often I share interesting Ohio and Michigan findings with just 3 or 4 people.

There may also be some small advantages in having your posts sorted for you by subject, in case you have limited time to go through your email. After all the subject line doesn't always relate to the subject :)

From: "Michael Lucas"

From: "Irate Mormon"
> Why have separate lists? I haven't heard anybody crying about off-topic
> posts when someone talks about mussels or crayfish. Keeping it all
> under one list might help kindle interest in folks who never have
> thought about mussels and such. It certainly has kindled MY interest.

I can totally appreciate this. There is a certain benefit to talking about
these things on the list, nor would I refrain from making a post about an
invert issue even if there was a list specific for it. I'm really glad to
hear people are interested and that we're all gaining something from the
variety.

What I guess I'm getting at, and why Matt, Bruce and Jeff were quickly gung-ho
for a side forum, may help frame our perspective...

I always second guess wether I should post on an invert issue, because,
well... I'd like to post on them as much as I post on fish, sometimes more
frequently. There currently is NO such forum online that I'm aware of. In
fact, I actually consider longer wether I should post about mussels more so on
the UNIO list than I do on the NANFA list

And I think that's where us UNIO weary folks see a huge potential for NANFA to
unlock with a list devoted to other North American aquatic organisms that
didn't start from an academic and agency stand point.

You should see the UNIO list... The last 20 posts 2 were .com (one was an
enviro agency), 2 were .net (1 looking for a room to share-in-the Columbus
gig, the other was Ethan Nedeau who just plain rules).

Every other post was .edu or .gov (myself included). That's freakin'
intimidating if you just have a remote interest in these mussel bones you
found! And I'm not trying to dis' the UNIO list either. It's a great
resource, and it is what it is.

I just think a separate list would be a great jumping point for a lot of
people into NANFA. They wouldn't come here looking for fish, because that
wasn't their interest-in-the moment... But think of the similar interests (but
from the other direction) they might gain, just as you have.

I'll rest my case-in-that :)

Todd
The List Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com