RE: NANFA-L-- A Little Lepomis or Enneacanthus Help

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:49:38 -0500

Howdy Mike,

The only other species it could be is a young flier, but my vote goes for a
banded. Perhaps someone who sees them more frequently than I will chime in.

Remember that their habitat in PA is limited (confined mainly to the coastal
plain), and by having Philly and associated megalopolis plopped right in the
best of their chances for their prefered gradient... well dang.

Another way to look-in-it is... NJ _was_ the coastal plain of PA during the
last glacial episode :)

I don't think there's anything-in-all to be concerned about. PA was
relatively remnant habitat to begin with, it's pretty easy to see why they got
into trouble there. I wouldn't gauge your activity on their state's list.
It's quite possible that there isn't anything in trouble in NJ because it was
depauperate to begin with, and everything that lived there has enough habitat
to not worry over.

Todd