Re: NANFA-L-- Photograph and Release

Drummond Howard (drummondhoward-in-hotmail.com)
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:06:00 +0000

I use a Canon A95 in a underwater housing, it has a underwater mode that
does some color correction. Unfortunately it is slow. Most really nice
underwater color photography is very shallow or with very bright(and
expensive) lights because of the red filtering effect of the salt water.
The cheapest underwater strobe I could find with a bracket cost me $165. It
works, but not unless the water is crystal clear. Any stuff in the water
and it looks like you are taking pictures in a snow storm-in-night. The
preflash can also scare the fish.

$150 for a housing and $165 for a flash I could swing. The $3-5K setups I
see people dive with I couldn't begin to touch. They do take nicer pictures
though.

Drummond Howard
Gaithersburg, Maryland