RE: NANFA-L-- The myth of restoration?

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Sun, 8 May 2005 01:58:55 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55393.04AE4A5A

So the best management plan, the most bang for the buck, with extremely =
limited funds, is to manage species by species on the basis of "pretty" =
or "charasmatic" or "most most rarest-est"? Am I misunderstanding?
=20
I don't wish any species to disappear, nor do I always agree with =
leadership or preserve management choices of TNC. But I don't think =
"saving it all via intensive intervention" or as a "botanical curio =
cabinent" is a realistic plan, either. Managing whole habitats is going =
to do the most for the many. Bottom line. =20
=20
And while it may look like TNC properties are just sitting there... I =
can assure you, there is an enormous amount of work going into those =
properties that you've just not had the opportunity to see, most of it =
by dedicated volunteers. In fact, I'd encourage you to infiltrate their =
ranks, and do some volunteering on the workdays. Might even get to see =
the goldline darters ;)
=20
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/alabama/preserves/a=
rt902.html
=20
I was in Coosa County this January as well, which is mentioned as =
another locality for your example species... I know I also don't exactly =
agree with everyone dumping their garbage off the side of the road as a =
management plan either. I was shocked-in-how much solid garbage could =
be on the side of the road. It was incredible.
=20
Perhaps you'd all like to read about this fantastic ecosystem being =
described here in even better detail (not the garbage part), including =
the actual digs on dwarf horse nettle. Fourth paragraph, a nice picture =
too. Looks like a pretty unassuming plant that's going to be looked =
over unless someone is a well trained field botanist.... And is usually =
why plants "disappear" and "reappear". It's not like there's an army of =
doo-good, field trained, tested and hardened naturalists roving the =
earth making sure rare species are accounted for :)
=20
http://www.mindspring.com/~jallison/lostworld.htm
=20
Todd Who Saw A Mudpuppy Today
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com
=20
________________________________

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on behalf of Mysteryman

>Mys, can you tell me the name of the plant species you're writing =
about?
>Is this a real life example or a hypothetical one?=20

Sadly, it's all too real.
I think it's called the Dwarf Horse Nettle. It has a brilliantly vivid
purple flower arranged in a shape akin to a wagonwheel, you know, with
big spokes. The picture now on the website doesn't look like the one I
remember, so it might be a different plant, but it might be. There are
61 endangered plants in that area, and I'd bet that they're all getting
the same treatment, namely, none.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55393.04AE4A5A

charset=3Diso-8859-1">=0A=
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">=0A=
=0A= =0A= =0A= 6.5.7226.0">=0A= Re: NANFA-L-- The myth of restoration?=0A= =0A= =0A=

=0A=
So the best = management plan, =0A= the most bang for the buck, with extremely limited funds, is to = manage =0A= species by species on the basis of "pretty" or "charasmatic" or "most = most =0A= rarest-est"?  Am I misunderstanding?
=0A=

=0A=
I don't wish any species to = disappear, nor =0A= do I always agree with leadership or preserve management choices of =0A= TNCBut I =0A= don't think "saving it all via intensive intervention" or as =0A= a "botanical curio cabinent" is a realistic plan, either.  = Managing =0A= whole habitats is going to do the most for the many.  Bottom = line.  =0A=
=0A=

=0A=
And while it may look like = TNC properties =0A= are just sitting there... I can assure you, there is an enormous amount = of work =0A= going into those properties that you've just not had the opportunity to = see, =0A= most of it by dedicated volunteers.  In fact, I'd encourage you to =0A= infiltrate their ranks, and do some volunteering on the workdays.  = Might =0A= even get to see the goldline darters ;)
=0A=

=0A=
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states= /alabama/preserves/art902.html
=0A=

=0A=
I was in Coosa County = this January as =0A= well, which is mentioned as another locality for your example species... = I know =0A= I also don't exactly agree with everyone dumping their garbage off the = side of =0A= the road as a management plan either.  I was shocked-in-how much = solid =0A= garbage could be on the side of the road.  It was = incredible.
=0A=

=0A=
Perhaps you'd all like to = read about this =0A= fantastic ecosystem being described here in even better detail (not the = garbage =0A= part), including the actual digs on dwarf horse nettle.  Fourth = paragraph, =0A= a nice picture too.  Looks like a pretty unassuming plant that's = going to =0A= be looked over unless someone is a well trained field botanist.... And = is =0A= usually why plants "disappear" and "reappear".  It's not like = there's an =0A= army of doo-good, field trained, tested and hardened naturalists = roving the =0A= earth making sure rare species are accounted for  =  :)
=0A=

=0A=
http://www.min= dspring.com/~jallison/lostworld.htm
=0A=

=0A=
Todd Who Saw A Mudpuppy Today
=0A=
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
=0A=
=0A=
http://www.farmertodd.com
=0A=

=0A=
=0A=
=0A= From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on = behalf of =0A= Mysteryman

>Mys, can you tell me the = name of the =0A= plant species you're writing about?
>Is this a real life example = or a =0A= hypothetical one?

Sadly, it's all too real.
I think it's = called =0A= the Dwarf Horse Nettle. It has a brilliantly vivid
purple flower = arranged in =0A= a shape akin to a wagonwheel, you know, with
big spokes. The picture = now on =0A= the website doesn't look like the one I
remember, so it might be a = different =0A= plant, but it might be. There are
61 endangered plants in that area, = and I'd =0A= bet that they're all getting
the same treatment, namely, =0A= none.
=0A= =0A= =0A= ------_=_NextPart_001_01C55393.04AE4A5A--