RE: NANFA-L-- Re: the aquarium hobby as conservator of

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Sat, 13 May 2006 11:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

This is part of the reason the AKA way of labelling
fish works so great. I have some F1s of one specie. I
have been distributing them to others by sending eggs
through the male. In a few generations I can buy/trade
for this specie again and cross it with the ones I am
breeding-in-that time. Yes we all only keep a few fish
and yes they are kept under a wide amount of water
conditions. By spreading the fish around and bringing
them back together from time to time we keep the
genetic diversity. So like with the BTM(Barrens
TopMinnow) where they have 4 lines these lines should
all be split into 2 to 10 lines. For instance take
line 1 and split it into 2 lines giving us line 1-1
and 1-2. Keep them seperate for a few years then cross
some of 1-1 and 1-2 and call it line 1-3. From then on
just cross line 1-1 with line 1-3 from time to time to
add some new blood to the line. I know I did something
very simular with plant breeding. With my killies all
I can do is get the same specie and location code from
a couple people and cross them. But with most species
in the AKA the line gets split hundreds of times and
only a few of us really try to cross a couple of these
together as most are happy breeding a line from a
single pair they got for years.

Later, John

--- Christopher Gutmann <cgutmann-in-dupageforest.com>
wrote:

> The problem with genetic drift is that it can result
> the reduction of
> alleles and loss of variability. If this happens,
> then a species would
> be less able to "adapt." That is why there is an
> emphasis on avoiding
> genetic drift in captive propagation projects.
> Genetic drift in captive
> breeding programs does not increase the genetic
> arsenal / variability of
> a species. The smaller the gene pool, the more
> likely genetic drift
> will occur. Ideally, the purpose of a captive
> breeding project of a
> declining species is to maintain its complete
> genetic arsenal while
> attempting to increase the abundance of that
> species. This, of course,
> is easier said than done. Many zoos involved in
> species survival plans
> employ individuals whose sole purpose is to track
> and plan pedigrees
> with other zoos in an effort to minimize the loss of
> genetic diversity
> and attempt to prevent genetic drift in captive
> breeding programs.
>
> Chris Gutmann
> Salt Creek, IL

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com