Re: NANFA-L-- Old story, new twist?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Mon, 15 May 2006 15:52:19 -0500

I have to say, surely you can't be serious.

this idea has no redemption, for all the same reasons that exotics
introduced for other reasons were done so wrongheadedly. All it can
accomplish is to harm environments in one place because environment
has already been harmed elsewhere.

The concept of a refuge is an old one in conservation. It usually
involves habitat of the same kind, within the same general geographic
area, where a species-in-risk occurs. Texas did (unwisely) introduce
Guadalupe bass (Micropterus treculi) into the Nueces R. drainage. But
at least that river is in the same general area. the reason was not
to establish a sport fishing population of Guadalupe bass in the
Nueces R. system, but to provide a haven for them in a less degraded
system than the native Colorado and Guadalupe Rivers, both of which
have introduced smallmouth bass that hybridize with the native
Guadalupe's.

See what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to mess up
nature?

The proposal to introduce elephants and other African savannah animals
to the N. American Great Plains was not one to provide refuge for
those animals. It was to restore the author's perception of
ecological integrity to the degraded Great Plains, particularly the
short grass prairies of the plains' western stretches. Those
environments formerly hosted animals ecologically like the African
animals proposed for introduction, but human alterations of the
environment, including prehistoric ones, eradicated the native animals.

Hmmmmmmmm ........... .

Dave McNeely

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"