RE: NANFA-L-- Homemade chiller

Drummond Howard (drummondhoward-in-hotmail.com)
Mon, 29 May 2006 18:35:31 +0000

I have heard of people using chest freezers as a chiller for salt water
aquariums. They usually just put the wet/dry filter in the freezer and
adjust the temperatue. Still very expensive. I looked into a refridgerator
but I think it may be less expensive than a chiller, but it will make the
refridgerator much less efficient, and more expensive. Any insulation on
the aquarium, while not pretty, wuold help.

I was working on a peltier based chiller, using 5 chips on a custom machined
heat exchanger inline on my external filter. 5 very highly efficient
computer CPU heatsinks and fans to cool the hot side of the peltier chips.
The only thing I couldn't find was a power controller that could adjust the
voltage rather then just on/off for the peltiers. I found some
documentation that said they work more efficiently using variable voltage
within a certain range. The inital cost would be about about the same as a
refridgerator but hopefully less expensive to run and more adjustable.

For now the cold fish stay in the basement.

Drummond Howard
Gaithersburg, Maryland