Re: NANFA-L-- Creek Chubs?

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Creek Chubs?
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 13:11:52 CST

On a tributary of the Eel R. in N. California, salmon aggregate below an impassable waterfall (the pool below may be too small for the fish to get up the speed required to get over the obstacle -- they can't make a long enough run). So, that pool is where they all spawn. The UC Berkeley students who work-in-the Eel R. Research Preserve have named the pool "Passion Pool."

Actually, quite a few different fishes move upstream into smaller streams for spawning.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"