Re: NANFA-L-- Creek Chubs?

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Creek Chubs?
From: Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 08:54:22 CST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Irate Mormon" <archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net>
> Hmm, that's the exact opposite of the ditch/creek that runs through my
> property.
> Excepting the crawdads, which live EVERYwhere.

This is the exact opposite of a lot of places. If I were talking about
central Ohio or eastern Ohio, or even just west of here in the same
watershed... it would be the opposite because the fish community is based
around woodland habitat, as opposed to prairie habitat. These areas also
have a much higher gradient than in this area, and so, have the energy to
create meanders, pools and riffles. Whereas, there's zero energy in these
ditches to create much of anything... even deposits surrounding something as
skinny as stuck wood. They seem to need a patch a plants to begin the
process.

I guess what's critical to understand this is to understand how little
relief there is in our area. The only place that I've visited that was any
flatter is south Florida :)

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com