Re: NANFA-L-- Farmer's Travels

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Farmer's Travels
From: Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 09:25:50 CST

>> Come down this spring and we can go find some bluesides in color.

Ohhh... I'm all about that!

I figured some of the species would be more along the line of a pipe
dream... But to be certain, I basically went through the Handbook O' Darters
range maps, used a post it note to mark any species I was unfamiliar with
that I _might_ encounter, and then marked those post-its that were on the
TNDR lists I grabbed off the internet.

I got burned on a madtom this way once in Ohio (wholly thought I had a
brindled but it was a northern), and I have the resources to avoid doing it
again with _any_ species. It worked out okay because OSUM needed the
specimen for a voucher, but I wasn't all that excited about it happening.

So we go by the rule of thumb:

Once is an honest mistake... twice marks the start of a pattern :)

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 12:42:56 CST