Re: NANFA-L-- More Madtom Stings...

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:21:04 -0500

Here's a little more if you're interested in looking-in-seiches:

I had a unique opportunity yesterday to observe mussels in the Maumee River
here in Toledo, Ohio, and made some great observations of natural history.
The fall seiches (pronounced "saysh" like "seine" for those of you who fish)
have been going on this last week, where persistent Southwest to West winds
push all the water from the west end of Lake Erie on over to PA and NY. It
can be pretty graphic... Following is a link to a page put together by some
Sea Grant folks:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/glwlphotos/Seiche/1113Storm/November2003.html

That's out on the lake... (which I will note we have seen live cylindrical
papershell and pink heelsplitter in the open lake)

In 2001, I observed the extreme seich event described here, but from an up
river perspective:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/glwlphotos/Seiche/Seiche1.html

This particular event was incredible, as the winds suddenly stopped, and the
6.5 feet of water came rushing back in. There are 55 gallon drum buoys
marking the shipping channel of the Maumee River in downtown. The
_upstream_ current was harsh enough to SUBMERGE the buoys for approx 10
minutes, with a pulse period of about 45 minutes where they were bouncing up
and under the water's surface. The current disoriented large schools of
emerald shiners and small gizzard shad.... The gulls had an amazing feast.

Todd
Mud Madness!