RE: NANFA-L-- reference precocious Green Sunfish

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:45:24 -0500

Not off hand. I believe the theory is behind the slot limit management plan
for micropterus (so your population is all either juvenile or very adult, and
the presence of large specimens inhibits breeding-in-smaller sizes), and I
know that I've read it a few times in In-Fisherman Bits & Pieces.
Unfortunately, I got all "mobile" last Feb and threw away the entire
collection of magazines. If someone else happens to horde old In-Fisherman,
here's your chance to justify the collection's significance to your spouse
:)

I did a quick look-in-Google Scholar... "lepomis breed body size effect" had
some promise, but I really don't have the time to run it down. There seemed
to be a lot of pdfs involved, which is pretty consistent with any game
species, since we "all" sorta paid for the information. So you may be able to
find your gem without sitting in a local university library.

I know, shame on me, spouting off things and not backing them up :)

If I find time tomorrow, I'll peek around on EBSCO or another of the academic
search engines and see if I can find something. If you find a citation that
looks good and can't get it, please email me off list and I'll see if I can't
get you a pdf. That's the least I can do :)

Todd