Re: NANFA-L-- Bowfin behaviour

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Bowfin behaviour
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003 at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 12:41:02 CDT

In that same tank I was keeping the gar in...after he moved out...I put in an 8 inch male bowfin and he was out and about constantly. There wasnt too much in the way of things to hide under other than a few slabs of rock and one clump of wood, but there was a decent amount of plants. He usually stayed at the foreground though or chased the bass around the tank. Pretty active overall, especially the occasional smack of the surface they make to get a gulp of air. Found it much easier to feed as well. Crayfish, nightcrawlers, tadpoles, guppies, fatheads, goldfish, frozen krill, carefully placed frozen beefheart. I always wanted to try the San Fransisco Bay frozen silversides for both gar and bowfin but NO one seems to carry them in Ohio except a place that is mail order but charges like 25 bucks for frozen food delivery.

Snailcollector at cs.com wrote:Just how nocturnal are bowfins? I have a bullhead that will never, ever come out I don't want to get another fish that is like that. Also, is it true that they are much more active as young?

thanks,
Andrew