Re: NANFA-L-- hatchery salmon

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- hatchery salmon
From: James Smith (jbosmith at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 15:24:05 CDT

All salmon stocking that I know of are released as tiny little fry
directly out of the hatching trays. They are hatched in river water
with similar chemistry as where they're released, provided current
with spray bars, etc. The only real difference between the trays and a
shallow riffle is the lack of predators and the hydrogen peroxide to
prevent fungus. I suppose the food is dead too which might make a
difference, but at such a young age it's all instinct anyway...

There's a place near the river here with a sign about the life cycle
of atlantic salmon. Most of them die in the 3-4 years that they are in
the ocean if I remember right.

Jim

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:01:51 -0500, dlmcneely at lunet.edu
<dlmcneely at lunet.edu> wrote:
> Yes, so far as that goes, that's why I pointed out that a part of the success of such organizations as CFI lies in their use of fish that are just one generation from the wild. To the degree that any selection goes on in the first generation, my answer would change. But remember also the "who gets caught" phenomenon. These fish are a subset of the wild population, thus their genotypes are a subset of the gene pool. And Hardy-Weinberg teaches us that only a very few generations are required to stabilize an allele frequency in a population. That would apply to hatchery populations.
>
> Dave
>
> David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
> Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
> Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
> telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
> home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely
>
> "Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:44 CST