RE: NANFA-L-- (Cray-)fish traps

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- (Cray-)fish traps
From: Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (Jan.J.Hoover at erdc.usace.army.mil)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 18:40:06 CDT

Chuck asked:
> Would you be kind enough to tell us again where these can be purchased
and other details?
Moon requests:
>...a link to where they are sold
Irate wonders:
>They look like square fish traps. What are the other differences?

The traps were purchased from Lee Fischer International, 3922 W. Osborne
Ave., P.O. Box 15695, Tampa, FL 33684. In January 2004, the traps sold for
$20 (unmodified), $37.50 (modified with Vexar lining - the type we used).
Prices went up just before we purchased ours in Sep but I do not recall how
much. Shipping will be fairly high because the traps, although light, are
bulky and cannot be collapsed or readily stacked. They are somewhat
cone-shaped with one flat, broad side. Height is 26 inches, breadth 18
inches.
I am not aware of a website but I believe you can write/call for a hardcopy
catalog.
Principal differences from other traps is greater height (stove-pipe top
allows fish and herps access to atmospheric air), greater size (allowing
animals freedom of movement), all mesh construction (allowing water to
circulate freely). In the past, I have used Plexiglas Breder traps and
commercially produced minnow traps. They have their advantages (e.g., easy
portability)/. My initial impression is that small-mesh crayfish traps
capture more kinds of animals and impose less stress on the animals. Also -
for collectors working alone (or those with mobility limitations) in
structurally complex habitats (wetlands, swamps, bottomland hardwood
streams), these traps allow vertebrates to be censused without using
techniques that are labor-intensive (seining) or high-tech (electrofishing).

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:47 CST