Re: NANFA-L-- Sucker tank

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Sucker tank
From: Todd D. Crail (tcrail at UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 09:51:08 CDT

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Bruce Stallsmith" <fundulus at hotmail.com>
>I'd guess that in an aquarium they'd prefer to take food coming at them in
a current.

The specimens I've been maintaining have prefered low current areas adjacent
to high current areas where food collects. They rarely take it on the
fly... They seem to prefer to let it settle into areas where sand has
accumulated on the surface, and then take it from there. Again, it would be
an interesting study to find what the role of "terra"-phagy is in their
physiology.

The specifics involved are really just the hydrodynamics of the particular
"pool-adjacent riffle" as to where what and when... They certainly won't
work for their food in the column, but will move pounds of substrate instead
to get at it. So I have to feed enough to satiate cyprinids etc so that
food does collect on the areas where the suckers will graze. And again, I'm
using extremely high quality food, and a LOT of it.

Which is another reason the sand is so beneficial. I can dump 2 oz of food
into my 100 gallon at one serving and not cause a massive ammonia spike.
Which gets me to....