Re: NANFA-L-- red shiner

Michael Lucas (psalm119.111 at gmail.com)
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:28:36 -0700

Peter,
I've got a version of Jim Graham's clay flower pot method, instead of
flower pots I have a stack of the clay saucers used under the pots. I
stacked about 8 or 9 of them with three or 4 small pebbles in each saucer
creating a small crevice between each saucer allowing the eggs to be
deposited into each saucer but preventing fish eating the eggs. The saucers
have an inch or so depth and should be easily removed with the eggs. That's
my theory anyway, as soon as I had set it up my fieryblacks from the S
Carolina convention bit the dust. Got one young pair in transit to the
Arkansas convention so I'll test it soon. I've had Spotfins and Fieryblacks
lay eggs several times in tanks and they seemed to prefer horizontal
crevices to vertical, though Jim's apparently had no problem using the
vertical crevices of his line of nested flower pots lying on their sides.
Mike Lucas