Re: NANFA-L-- fieryblack shiners

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- fieryblack shiners
From: Bob Muller (michiganfish at wideopenwest.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 16:43:12 CDT

Jim

I had my standard egg crate mat'l covered with netting with large rocks (4-6 inches) clustered on top of it. I thought this would provide crevices between them. One week ago I put a 4 X 6 ceramic tile on top of the rocks nothing. Wednesday night I added tile spacers on top of the one tile and added another. Thursday night the tiles were covered with eggs. I picked them off as I always gather eggs. Last night I removed that set up and simply made a stack of tiles in the tank. I just went down stairs and checked for eggs none. The eggs I gathered are a light milky color they gave me the impression that they weren't good until I looked at them under the microscope. I did find one large fry in the tank so they must have been laying some eggs before. These were not a fish I was real interested in at the convention, but after watching them in my tanks, the displaying males are the most striking fish I have ever seen. I figured they had to be spawning if only because the males have maintained color and tubercles.

Bob