Re: NANFA-L-- Caulerpa Qs (Again!)

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Caulerpa Qs (Again!)
Moontanman at aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 19:15:22 CDT

In a message dated 9/17/04 6:30:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Snailcollector at cs.com writes:

> Should I add the caulerpa before or after the tank is done cycling? Also,
> should I use ammonia to cycle the tank fish-less? I will not have any fish but
> am afraid the ammonia will not be caught buy the protein skimmer and produce
> a lot of nitrAte.

I would put the caulerpa in the tank as long as you have the lighting on, I
don't like using ammonia to cycle a tank, a little bit of food added to the
aquarium will provide any ammonia you need to grow the necessary bacteria but if
you are setting up a reef tank DO NOT USE AMMONIA the live rock will die if
exposed to ammonia. a protein skimmer will not remove ammonia, protein skimers
remove protein and other large organic molecules not ammonia. if you tank has
ammonia bacteria will metabolize the ammonia into nitrite and then other
bacteria will turn nitrite into nitrate. a protein skimmer removes organics before
they can be broken down into ammonia and eventually turned into nitrates.
before I can give you anymore advice I would have to know what kind of aquarium you
are you are setting up. (type of animals, filtration, size ect)

Moon

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:20 CST