Re: NANFA-L-- Keeping Sculpin

Bob Bock (bockhouse at earthlink.net)
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:01:26 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

One other point about the mottleds--they would stalk crayfish intently. So much so that the crayfish wouldn't come out of their rock hiding place. And I'm talking about crayfish that were larger than the sculpins. In addition to choking on darters, maybe they like to choke on crayfish, too.

-----Original Message-----
From: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
Sent: Sep 12, 2005 11:20 AM
To: nanfa-l at nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Keeping Sculpin

Live food, preferably live fish, is essential for sculpins. I never
was able to get them to eat anything not living and active. I was able
to get them to eat things other than fish, but the things had to move
about. Live earthworms actually worked, but not cut up pieces.
Crayfish were great.

I have only tried to keep _Cottus bairdi_ and _C. carolinae_.

Other than that, excellent, clean, cool conditions with shelters.

Oh, other fish will just be attacked, regardless of size (even bigger
than the sculpins). Darters for example, were just attacked and killed
immediately. Quite a fascinating situation, actually. When I've
examined sculpin gut contents in the field, they were always stuffed
with inverts.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"