NANFA-L-- Here's another good one for those who import fish

Drummond Howard (drummondhoward at hotmail.com)
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:21:59 +0000

Here's another good one for those who import fish
>From the AP via Yahoo ODD News
Piranha Bites Manila Airport Inspector

Tue Sep 27, 6:43 AM ET

MANILA, Philippines - A routine check of a shipment at Manila airport turned
bloody when a piranha sprung up and bit one of the inspectors.

"I was checking one of the boxes when suddenly, something leaped out of it
and bit me," fisheries quarantine inspector Mario Trio told the Philippine
Daily Inquirer in a report published Tuesday.

The bite left a V-shaped wound on the inspector's finger, and the 34
piranhas in the consignment he was checking  falsely declared as
"ornamental fish" from Peru  were confiscated over the weekend, but died
two days later, the newspaper reported.

The Filipino consignee faces charges of illegally importing live piranhas,
punishable by up to eight years in prison and a fine, quarantine chief
Felipe Santamaria said.

Drummond Howard
Gaithersburg, Maryland